Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Laid off...

Went to work this morning, like any other day. We have not been busy for the last few weeks, so when my boss came by my office and said we need to talk with the H.R. director I knew something was up. They told me because of the economic situation they needed to reduced the work force. I knew it was nothing personal nor due to my work performance, they just had to do what they had to do for the survival of the company. I understand that.
I started working when I was in high school at one of the local grocery stores as a stock boy then after graduation I got a job at a factory loading boxcars with office furniture. My Dad worked at a ice cream factory driving trucks so when I got laid off at the furniture factory I got a job in the freezer loading trucks and stacking 3 gallon tubs of ice cream. Baskin-Robbins bought our plant in 1976 and I worked a total of 27 years for them.
After they shut down in 2001 I was laid off for two months then I got a call from Packaging UnLimited of Western Kentucky working in the warehouse. I worked there six weeks on the second shift when they lost a contract making the second shift obsolete. They liked me and put me in the office staff, day shift filing papers and data entry in the system for all the production done that day. Security and other jobs were added over time and I really liked my job.
In December Packaging Purposes took over in place of Packaging UnLimited because of our financial crises. Thank God I still had a job. But I do understand what happened today.
God is still in control. Pray for us. God will take care of us!
God bless you...
"Pinky" is the truck I drove at Baskin-Robbins.
I worked for Packaging UnLimted for seven and a half years.
Thanks for letting me "rant" on in this blog.
GS

No comments: